Please leave me a comment if you know any other fun facts of etsy. I'll be glad to add it to the list.
1. Etsy was launched on June 18, 2005.
2. Etsy is pronounced like Betsy, without the B of course.
3. Etsy was founded by iospace, a small company composed of Robert Kalin, Chris Maguire and Haim Schoppik.
4. Etsy was named for Rob’s maternal grandmother.
5. Jared Tarbell programmed all the flash features that make Etsy so beautiful.
6. There are no auctions on Etsy, only fixed price sales.
7. Etsy is popular as a side-business as well as a place to buy goods made from recycled and upcycled materials, along with less expensive or more unusual versions of mass-produced items
8. Along with handmade products, people on Etsy sell vintage items, homemade sweets, and craft supplies.
9. Etsy is one of the main members of the Handmade Consortium, a 2007 effort to encourage buying handmade holiday gifts.
10. In April 2009, users organized an "etsyday" promotion on Twitter that brought extra attention to the site.
11. As of May 2009, it has approximately 60 employees and sales of $10 to 13 million per month.
12. In December 2010, Etsy said it had seven million registered users and $400 million in transactions for the year.
13. The average sale on Etsy is about $15 to $20 and mostly sold by women, who tend to be college-educated and in their twenties and thirties.
14. There is no charge to join Etsy. If you wish to sell here, we charge you only 20¢ to list an item, and take only 3.5% commission from each sale.